Jeremiah 29:11

For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Grandma Myrtle

Grandma Myrtle (Jen's mom's mom) passed away on March 31 after living 97 wonderful years for the Lord. She was very healthy the whole 97 years, and passed very quickly in only a few weeks of time. We could not have asked for a better way for her to go, and now she is in heaven with Jesus and my grandpa Clarence. Here are some pictures of her that were part of a slideshow my sister made.

Their wedding picture (the only one they have!)
I think this is their Honeymoon

Riding bikes with little Uncle Dick
A more recent picture of Grandma Myrtle

Grandma's Story

Myrtle Borghild Karlson was born August 23, 1910 in Muskegon, Michigan. Her family lived in a house right across from her church and right next to her Grandma Karum, whom she dearly loved. Grandma Karum’s house was surrounded by her children’s houses so family was always together. Myrtle got to play every day with her cousins and they were her best childhood friends. Grandma Karum was the midwife of the block, and when Myrtle was born prematurely, Grandma Karum kept her comfy in an oven. The doctor also said her leg would not be straight, but Grandma Karum rubbed it, and it turned out just fine. Her family later moved to Los Angeles, where she met Clarence in choir at the First Covenant Church. He always made her laugh. Myrtle lived to love and serve her husband and her children. Her home was always filled with love and harmony.

MOM ‘S SPECIAL QUALITIES by Dick

As I get older I often think about the qualities that I most admired in my parents and now at this time, my mother. Here are a few:

Her strong Christian faith which she lived daily. In our youthful years our home was filled with a busy life of school activities and sports (for me) but grounded heavily in church, which provided an early education in the Bible, learning about God and his will for our lives. Both mom and dad were regular Bible readers which continued throughout their lives. Even in the last few months with poor vision Mom reminded me to be sure I ordered her daily devotional book that was available in large print..

Her love for her family. She always encouraged hard work and education. Her mother lived a few houses down the street so as children we had the benefit of being very close to parents and a walking distance to grandparents which is unheard of in today’s world. Later mom and Dad moved to Glendale where they were close to us, and then to El Toro where they could be close to my sister Carol.

Mom always brought positive thoughts to every situation. If someone had, for example, health issues she would always find a ray of sunshine somewhere to bring to that person's needs. She always had a way of turning a negative conversation into a positive one.

Mom never wanted attention drawn to her or to be singled out for special attention.

I never heard her speak an unkind word and always had a loving spirit. This is a rare quality that I so remember and continually seek in my own life. In her simple ways, thoughts, and actions, her Love for Christ radiated through her and her life. Her love for Christ I will remember FOREVER.
Her son,Dick

Carol’s Thoughts

How could you ever put my Mom into words? Her character traits are amazing: always loving, always smiling and positive, never a harsh word. Her love is a demonstration of I Corinthians 13 – a perfect love that is patient, kind, doesn’t seek its own, and a love that never failed. I know I was blessed with a one in a million mom who blessed me with her love every day of her life.

She was always the perfect example of a godly Christian woman. As a wife and mother she gave her life to make others comfortable and happy. Others always came first She and dad always read their Bible before going to bed – Dad in his chair in the den and Mom while in bed. She loved Jesus very much every day of her life. Whenever I would be facing something she would say, “Jesus goes before you.”

It was a priviledge at the end to enter her into Jesus’ presence as we talked about heaven and being able to sit at Jesus’ feet and see Dad and all her friends. She would smile at that. There was no fear, but only anticipation. What a comfort for us to know that to leave us meant to be in Jesus’ presence, full of more joy than she has ever known. Psalm 23 was a chapter that I would say into her ear and she would always say, “That’s beautiful.” Jesus has been and will continue to be our Shepherd, that faith being gained by the example of a life lived out for Jesus in love to Him and giving it out to others. Mom knew JOY spelled as Jesus, others and you. We will always remember her with great thankfulness to God for wonderful memories of a precious godly Mom.

Her daughter, Carol

Posted by Picasa

No comments: